Monday, June 27, 2011

Job

Today started my third week at Go East. I know. Crazy right? Good crazy though.

Overall, my impressions of my new company? It's pretty stinkin' great. Although I may be a bias newbie, there is significant evidence to back up my theory. They're hiring for one. Unheard of in today's economy. Second, they're consistently busy. Having work to fill your day is always comforting. Third, they're fun. They actually have a fun committee. They do fun things. They play little games and reward people. All this to say, they seem to value their employees. Validation: the single most important concept lost in some company cultures today if you ask me, but I digress. To give a few examples of said fun, breakfast is provided every Friday, dogs are allowed the first Friday of every month, there's a pool table in the lunch room, email games are sent with chocolate for rewards, the owner handed me my paycheck followed with a "thank you" and probably the greatest of all, they started a baby pool for me. I worked at my former place of employment for seven years. Seven years and no baby pool. I worked here for two days and on the second day, a company-wide email was sent setting up a baby pool for me. And from what I hear… no one has me delivering in July. Dammit.

My first week entailed a lot of touring, name learning, paperwork and procedure memorizing. Nothing too exhilarating but a nice way to ease into things. By the end of the week I was well on my way into projects and getting comfortable in my new digs. The beginning of the second week brought much of the same but by Wednesday I had been given my first big design task. A bit stressful but challenging, rewarding stress, that I missed actually. You know the type. The kind that gives you butterflies, has you questioning your abilities but at the same time makes you want to do nothing more then knock their socks off because you know you have it in you? Yeah, that kind. By the end of last week I was well into the project and today in fact, routed it to proofing. May not sound like fireworks to you but to me, it was refreshing and for the first time in a long time, I felt accomplished. I believe I was given a pretty significant project with it only being my second week and I think, so far, it's been a success. We shall see tomorrow…

I seem to be transitioning eerily well. That's not to say I haven't been beyond exhausted in doing so because let's face it, there's only so much room in this prego brain and it's beyond capacity at this point, but I'm making it. It was also a pretty rough start the first couple of days since the hubby was out of town but I've managed to recover each weekend and I actually, dare I put it in writing… I actually like going to work. It's amazing what a little change in scenery can do for a person. It's amazing what feeling valued can do to a person's attitude. So far, it's just been plain amazing.

3 comments:

  1. It IS fireworks!! Let your colors burst!! Excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kali - I am sooooooooo happy for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, there is life outside the Bolger walls! DD

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

You might also like: