Why is everyone so concerned with Shawn and I having kids. Or more specifically, when we're having kids. I want to know. I need an answer because in my opinion, this is THE most personal question you can ask a couple and it seems like it's just flying from everyone's mouths. Fellow moms, non-moms, coworkers, family, friends, strangers… Are people expecting us to respond, "Well we're going to conceive our child April 25 so that it will be born December 25." Someone can check that math for me.
In an effort to inhibit myself from becoming immediately annoyed, I've chosen to instead, take a poll. This seemed like a better option then just telling people I'm sterile. I want to know why it's imperative that people ask us, "Soooooooo, when are you having kids?" I've listed about all the options below I can think of. Pick one. Respond. Write your own. I don't care, I need results. This is an honest, non-cynical, non-judgmental, impartial, bipartisan survey. Help me understand.
List of possible reasons:
- Shawn and I are so good-looking, we must pass these beautiful genes on.
- We'll make great parents and people want to see us fulfill that potential.
- Fellow parents want fresh blood to commiserate with.
- It's merely a conversation piece.
- Everyone loves babies and just wants to see and hold and receive photos of another baby.
- People want Norman to have another buddy.
- I haven't fulfilled my womanly obligation until I've birthed a child.
- People want us to grow up by being solely responsible for another human being.
- People want to see me fat.
- We have too much money and need something new to spend it on.
- Family want us to experience the love that comes with children.
- Those who have children want to be able to relate to us.
- It's the logical next step in a life plan.
- We're not getting any younger and people don't want to see us miss our chance.
- People are bored with us and our ways and want something to dice it up.
- People just want to get a rise out of us.
- The DeBoer name is in jeopardy of extinction.
- It's just expected that someone of my age would want to have kids.
- Parents want someone to take all their hand-me-downs.
- People want their life decisions justified.
Have I missed any? How many people are secretly wondering if I am in fact sterile?