Thursday, July 8, 2010

Color

I recently finished The Book Theif by Marcus Zusak. If you have not read it, do. If you have not heard of it, click here. Learn. It's an incredible book. Set in Nazi Germany during WWII, death, of all things, narrates the story. I won't attempt to spin my own review (Amazon takes care of that), but I did want to mention it because I was struck by something.

The narrator begins the book by describing days as colors. Not necessarily the color of the sky or the surroundings, but the color of the feeling the day has. Being a graphic designer by trade, I've often found myself looking at colors in excess, but never as a descriptor of a day. It's a common fact that colors can influence mood. For instance, red/orange are typical kitchen colors because they represent energy. Blue/green are common bedroom colors because they represent calm. Pink also represents calm. That's why Hayden Fry painted the opponent's locker room pink. But days described as colors? That's a new one by me. Obviously a good one too as it's stuck with me since. Now, at one point during my day, every day, I assess it's color.

Patterns have already started to form. Mondays tend to be black, gray or brown or red. Shocking, I know. Weekends lend themselves to shades of blue. Fittingly, the days I can't stop thinking about Dad are green and the days I miss Mom are pink. Some days are obvious, some are not. Some are a combination. The color is not always decided by one singular criteria either. It's not always based on my mood, environment or who I'm surrounded by. It's a culmination of everything really. Although the patterns above seem logical, others come out of no where. It's all about gut feelings and as they say, you should always trust your gut.

Today? Today was tie-dye.

1 comment:

  1. As a quilter and a writer, I love this post. And I do think of things in 'color' -- emotions, elements, people even...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

You might also like: